Word

12.10.2005

Redeemer Hockey

Last night I went to the hockey game. I didn't really like the hockey game; I only went to it because there was nothing else to do. See, I don't really tend to support Redeemer's hockey team. To me, if Redeemer is to have a hockey team, they should be playing against other colleges and universities. I don't care if this means that Redeemer will be last in the league for the next ten years; at least they are playing against their own kind. Currently, Redeemer's hockey team is playing in a church league. This seems a little unfair as theoretically, Redeemer has 816 people to chose from while every other team barely has enough players to make a team, and usually are only playing just for fun. For some reason, Redeemer students are proud of their hockey team placing 2nd/3rd in church league; I am not proud of them at all. I mean, we should be kicking their faces in (not literally); we have a lot more opportunity for talent and we actually do practice (even though it is very little).

Now I don't know how Redeemer Athletics views its hockey team but I think there is some sort of confusion. If Redeemer's hockey team is supposed to be non-competitive and solely for having fun, than I think there is no problem for a bunch of Redeemer guys/girls to get together and play in a church league- paying for it themselves, without carrying the Royals name. If Redeemer is going to have a competing hockey team, then they should be able to carry the Redeemer Royal's name and receive funding from the university, and therefore compete against other colleges and universities on behalf of Redeemer.

As the team currently stands, I can't help feeling confused. Are we supposed to be proud of getting 2nd or 3rd place in a church league? To myself, no - we don't belong in that league as a university team. Maybe we should decide if Redeemer wants a real hockey team, otherwise, don't bother wasting the school's money.
:: posted by craig, 15:21

3 Comments:

Ahhh...I loved your post. I fully agree with it. The guys on the team, well, most of them, think they are so amazing because they are on the team, when in reality, they are playing against the majority of middle aged men. I was quite happy that you put in both guys AND gurls. I fully agree with the whole money issue to. It's not even a vasity or club sport, it's just it's own pick-up league for Firday night enjoyment. But I guess if it means Redeemer winning, anything goes! Well..there is your comment Mr! Enjoy!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 p.m.  
i guess we aren't used to winning that much are we?
Blogger craig, at 9:19 p.m.  
As a Redeemer hockey player, I am in some agreement to what you have to say, but alot of it is, well, kinda harsh. Redeemer may have 816 students to choose for but that goes for all sports. Our club teams although not top in our school play against some bible collges that don't even break 200 and don't even have a gym. Alot of the teams in this church league actualy have tryouts and some even practise, this isn't a typical church league either I've played in some pic up leagues and this is a very competitive and high skilled church league. Redeemer is no where near the level of university hokcey. I've played on competitive teams for 16 yrs. and this is prob the worst team I've ever played for. That doesn't mean it's a bad team or that it's not fun, just that it's not at the level of being a highly competitive. There is no ontario college hopckey league so thats out of the picture. Also there are some guys on the team that think were pretty amazing, but in all honesty there's prob. only two. Redeemer hockey also seems to bring out large crowds, giving students something to do and look forward to on a friday night instead of going out and spending money they don't have. It's a game that brings all different people from the school togeather, and shoots down the clichs that drown redeemer.Friday night is the highlight to my week. In closing I know I may not know all the statistics on funding etc... like you do, but I pay 17, 000 to go to this school and playing hockey one time a week. makes me feel a bit better about that. The play has a large fund I'm sure, and I personaly was not impressed, I enjoy theatre but the tavern was not impressive, With that said the people involved enjoy it and also have a large audience that feels the same. We all have our things, Redeemer hockey brings exctiment to alot.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 p.m.  

Add a comment