Word

2.24.2005

Working together to put citizens first

Yesterday was a very important day in the history of Canadian politics for me, as the Liberal minority government tabled their budget in parliament. What makes this one so special is that for the first time in my entire life, the official opposition (the Conservatives) and the government (the Liberals) have agreed to work together. For in the budget, the Liberals promised increases in military spending and tax cuts, two top priorities on the Conservative agenda. Stephen Harper (for the first time that I can remember) is actually content with the government saying that he is happier than he thought he would be with the proposed budget!

Now many of you will argue that the Liberals were forced to satisfy some of the other political parties demands in order to stay in power, but I would argue that even though they were forced to do so, it is still an historical day. Not only did the Liberals satisfy the Conservatives, but they also increased funding for environmental protection and created a fund for a national childcare program for the NDP! (The NDP still isn't fully satisfied because they didn't get all the things they wanted and the Bloc aren't happy because well, they didn't get anything. But when isn't the Bloc happy? If they would get what the want, they wouldn't be in Canada!)

So that is why I felt a glimmer of hope in the budget yesterday. Instead of always thinking of their own self-interest and tarnishing eachother's image, it seems that this budget introduced yesterday was kind of about the citizens of the country. The Liberals and the Conservatives were willing to work together and compromise and as a result all Canadians could benefit greater (even if it was their own survival that spurred them to do it). This not only gives me hope in how this minority government will work, but what is best about it, is that it makes me feel like I am more to the government in Ottawa than a vote, and that my future is the most important thing to them, not their own success. And for the first time in my life, I don't feel ignored by the government.
:: posted by craig, 14:38

0 Comments:

Add a comment